Thursday, March 17, 2011

Writer’s Block?

I have writer’s block tonight.  I just really cannot think of anything to write.  Well, I can think of things to write, just nothing very coherent.  I don’t really have any photos to post, and may not have a lot for a week or so as my camera’s shutter is going out and I’ve ordered a new camera, which I’m sure I won’t know how to operate when it gets here.  But I have to do a blog post today for my 31 Project so I’m just going to start typing and see what comes out. . . .

I’m pretty tired.  Not bad tired in the I-have-a-newborn way of tired, but just generally tired.  Penelope just hasn’t been sleeping that well.  Last night she slept completely through the night, but that was the first time in about 3 weeks.  She pretty much stopped making it through the night in early February with that first ear infection.  I really don’t know what is going on with her.  The tiredness and lack of sleep isn’t a whole lot of fun, but I really don’t mind that all that much.  I’m not up for that long – she wakes up, I nurse her, she falls asleep, I go back to bed.  The biggest thing is that I just WANT to know what is going on.  WHY is she not sleeping?  Is she hurting and I don’t know what to fix?  I give her gas medicine, occasionally I give her Tylenol if I think she’s in pain, but it doesn’t really seem to be either of those things.  If she’s just going through a growth spurt and is hungry, then I’ve fed her and that’s okay.  If she’s teething then I’ve comforted her and that’s okay.  If it’s habit, well, then it’s habit and that’s okay, too.  But what if it’s an ear infection?  Or what if it’s something more?  I just don’t want something to be wrong that I could fix if I only knew.  I don’t care about fixing it so that she sleeps so much as I want to be sure there’s nothing wrong.  The not knowing is driving me batty.  Today during lunch a friend suggested that I try some gripe water, so we’re going to give that a shot.  I would have tried it today, but completely forgot to stop to pick some up on my way home.

Other than that, Penelope seems to be doing great.  She’s eating her solids well and has been going up on all fours and rocking.  She’s totally getting ready to start crawling!  The question is just when. . . .  I thought that Piper was going to crawl forever before she finally took off.  Henry, on the other hand, just started crawling one day without ever showing many signs that he may be getting ready.

The kids have been just talking up a storm lately.  What is really neat to me is that they are actually calling each other by name (Pie-pee, Henny, and Roe-ee), which I think is so sweet.  And Piper has developed this habit of asking us, “Okay?” after she tells us anything.  Another thing that I love is that whenever we are laughing at something, Henry gets this funny grin on his face and comes up to us and says, “It’s funny!!” as if we may have missed it otherwise.  Rosemary has started saying, “Oh Lordy” whenever something deserving happens.  I love it.  Those kids just crack me up.

Well, that should be enough randomness for tonight.  I’ll pick up again tomorrow night!

No comments: