Sunday, January 1, 2012

Gearing Up for a Project 52

I have some friends who have done a 365 project, where they take a photo every day for a year.  That flat out takes dedication.  I remember when I made up my own 31 project earlier this year and just making a blog post daily almost killed me – and that didn’t include taking and editing a photo to post with it!  I know that I just don’t have the time to do a 365 project.  I’ve heard of people who did a project 52, meaning they take and edit a photo every week, but I was scared to commit to that sort of thing, too.

Then I saw this blog post by Sarah Cornish of My Four Hens Photography (a/k/a {m4h}).  I thought that her concept of a Project 52 based on weekly themes sounded pretty cool, but I had already declared that I did not do such projects and I quickly forgot about it.  Then I read this blog post on Clickin Moms about how Amii Wroblewski was going to use a 52 project to really “push her photography to a new level creatively.”  That really interested me.  Before that point, I had thought the purpose of these “projects” were to capture daily/weekly life – which is a great goal.  I had not thought of it before as a way to improve photography skills in some manner.  After I read that Clickin Moms blog post, I started seeing more and more comments by photographers about how much their photography improved after taking on a 365 or 52 project. 

I’m in a Facebook group with some of my classmates from the Shooting 201 class I took back in October.  Some of those women started talking about how they were going to do a 365 or 52 project and how great the {m4h} Project 52 looked. . . .  First, I told them that I didn’t do those sorts of projects.  Then I watched as the messages kept coming about so many of those women who were going to participate in the {m4h} Project 52 on Flickr.  Before I really knew what I was doing, I’d signed up for the group. 

The theme for our first week is Resolutions.  Especially after seeing that theme, I knew that there is a good chance that many of my Project 52 photos aren’t going to fit into this blog about our family life.  Because of that, I decided to start a new blog just for the Project 52.  You can find my new blog by clicking here (and I also have a link to my Project 52 blog on the right sidebar of this blog).  I will of course continue to update this blog on a regular basis and will probably post a lot of my Project 52 photos on this blog, but I just felt like a needed a separate place for my newest photography endeavor. 

I’m pretty excited about the Project 52, but I am a little nervous about the time commitment.  Ah . . . may as well just jump right in! 

No comments: