Monday, June 18, 2012

Summer Beach Trip 2012, Part V

On the Saturday of our trip, after we played miniature golf and rode a few kiddie rides, we went to a traditional Destin spot for lunch. . . .
DSC_6099
While we were there, a huge storm blew in.  It did some crazy things to Penelope’s hair, and she loved it!  She is such a sassy little thing.
DSC_6112-2DSC_6117-2DSC_6120-2Strange things seems to happen whenever I go on – or plan to go on – vacation.  When I was a little kid, our family was vacationing in Washington State in 1980 when Mount St. Helens erupted.  Gary and I were vacationing in Key West in 2005 when Katrina hit.  Gary and I were supposed to be in San Diego in 2007 when the wildfires started and our seminar was cancelled.  These are pretty strange coincidences and seem to occur with greater frequency, so I always wonder just a bit what is going to happen when we leave for vacation.  Although it’s pretty mild in the grand scheme of what has happened in the past, the central gulf coast saw some record rainfall while we were there on that Sunday.  Luckily, we were fine and got home in time to nap through the worst of the storm. 
The rain slacked off a bit later that afternoon.  I hadn’t had the opportunity to get some photos of the kids on the beach dressed up yet, so we decided to head to a state part we’d seen (with the hopes of having fewer people in the background) to try to get a few photos.  It was shaping up to be the perfect photo session . . . when all of the sudden it started raining!  Ugh.  I got a few shots in, but then we had to run to the car.  I actually wrapped my camera up in my dress (and regretfully probably flashed a few people), grabbed Penelope, and ran.  The big kids ran on their own and had a blast.  Had I known that I wasn’t going to have just a ton of time for these shots, I would have tried harder, but I’m still okay with what I got. . . .
DSC_6129DSC_6130DSC_6134DSC_6135DSC_6141DSC_6145DSC_6149
Although these photos are okay – they weren’t what I was envisioning.  I decided to finally try to do a head swap. . . .  I’ve always wanted to avoid editing in an effort to simplify my photography, but I really just need to embrace it!  So, I did a little research and did my first head swap – well, actually two head swaps – from this session:
DSC_6129-Head-Swap
It’s not perfect, but I think it’s pretty darned good for my first try.
Due to the rain, we just grabbed Sonic (again) on the way to the condo and ate there.  Peggy and her husband were down at the beach, too, so they came by to visit that night for a bit before bedtime.  The kids LOVED spending some time with them.  After that it was bedtime.
The next morning, which was last Monday, we woke up and started packing up.  It went better than I had expected.  We had a snack at the condo, then hit The Donut Hole on the way home.  The kids have behaved better, but it wasn’t the worst occasion of the trip.  They were pretty hyper when we started the drive home, and I was more than a little concerned about making it home without being stark raving crazy.  Luckily, they calmed down after a bit and the ride home was relatively uneventful.  I was SO glad to be home!!!  The kids were exhausted.  We ate quickly then everyone went to bed early.  Penelope especially was SO happy to be in her bed.  I think she sighed when we put her down.
I’ve almost recovered from the trip!
Top Mommy Blogs 200x50

No comments: