Monday, October 17, 2011

Just a Little Catch-Up

It’s been a whole week since I’ve posted.  It’s been a long time since I’ve went that long, but it may be a few weeks before I’m back to my regular posting schedule.  Last Monday I started taking a new photography class.  It’s an online class provided by Clickin Moms called Shooting 201: Beyond the Basics.  It’s been a year since I’ve taken a photography class, and I’m overdue for a little learning and inspiration.  I think this class will do it for me. 

Last week was pretty crazy as far as the class.  Somewhat related to the class, my laptop was almost full of photos and I started to get some warnings.  I have an external hard drive that I keep at work (in case of fire, etc.) and I back it up about once a week.  However, I didn’t want to have my photos just in one location.  So, I’m okay with them on my laptop and on an external hard drive, but I didn’t want them just on one external hard drive.  So, I bought another external hard drive to keep at home.  I will spare you the long description of exactly what all went down, but I’ll just say that I had to buy three separate external hard drives before I got one that worked.

Nothing frustrates me, and irritates me, and upsets me quite like technological difficulties, so I was pretty testy after two days of external hard drive drama.  Once I finally go that sorted out, I started working with Lightroom 3, the editing software that I’m required to use for my photography class.  Again, I’ll spare you the full story, but apparently in the ten seconds I had played with the program after I downloaded it, I really screwed it up (and, of course, the manufacturer’s customer service was not available by the time I figured this out on Friday night).  After uninstalling and downloading the program several times, on three different browsers, I started searching Lightroom forums for a solution.  In the end I had to follow a filepath and rename a file to let it rebuild.  That fixed it.  And took up about 2 hours of my time on Friday night and 3 hours on Saturday.  And had me REALLY worked up.  I mean, I was crazy irritated.  I may have scared Auntie Ann.

THEN I had to work on my actual homework which was due yesterday.  I really did not like what I turned in.  At all.  So I won’t even post the homework here.  Unfortunately I spent so much time dealing with technology issues that I didn’t have a lot of time to shoot.  But, I think I have all those bugs worked out and am ready to go this week.  I think.  I hope. 

Regardless, I will hopefully have some good photos to post from this week’s homework, once I do it.  I keep reminding myself that every photography class I’ve taken is somewhat painful, but they have always been worth it in the end.  And that’s why I only take about one class a year. . . . 

In other news, we should get the results this week on whether Piper and Rosemary are identical.  I think the estimated date to get the results is Thursday, but we are looking for them any day.  Please vote if you want – the poll is on the top right of the blog.  Right now we’ve had 80 votes, 67 (83%) say identical, 12 (15%) say fraternal, and 1 (1%) says s/he is not sure!  I still haven’t voted.  I should probably just choose “not sure”!

And now here is your reward if you’ve stuck with me for this long on this post.  We had a photo session this past weekend and you can see the slideshow of images right HERE.  As always, I’m so excited with the results!  I can’t wait to have them hanging all over my house and office!!

5 comments:

JoLynn said...

So many, many good photos - I don't know how you will ever choose!

I love that you even have some fabulous photos of the entire family. Those are so hard to get sometimes.

Janine said...

So, I am a slacker and never did enroll in that online class. Bummer. I would have loved to do that, but then I don't think I could have tolerated all the technical difficulties! YIKES! Can't wait to see what pictures you post! The kids' pics are adorable!

Heather said...

JoLynn, that is so true. A few days before the session, our photographer suggested that Gary and I get in a few of the photos. And I surprised myself by agreeing and was mostly surprised at how excited I was to have all of us in one shot together. Proof that I exist!

Janine, I almost lost.my.mind. Seriously. I can't handle those sorts of issues, and they were constant for 3 days. UGH. But hopefully I'll see some improvement in my photography and will be done with such difficulties!

Esther and Brian said...

good luck with the class and hopefully there won't be any more technical difficulties....:(

i watched the "apple photos"- wow, you are incredibly talented! they are amazing. and i love the girls' shoes, too...:)

TripMomma said...

Awesome pics!

Can't wait to hear the test results...eekkk :)